This seems too obvious to include. But time and time again, students will assume that not all the rules apply to them. They will try to talk, yell, argue and even lie to show that the rules do not apply to them.
I recently had a student lie about attending an advising appointment. One of our requirements for admission is you must have attended an advising appointment. This student had not done that and was up against the deadline date and no advising appointment was available. Her solution: to create a piece of paper that had some classes handwritten on it and show it to the secretary and tell her that an advisor( specific name given) had given it to her at an advising appointment. Continue reading
We have talked about the importance of not working too much in nursing school and how that can influence your success. So the question is how can I live and afford to go to nursing school? If federal grant money, scholarships, employer money that was talked about earlier is not available then you are in need of loans.
There are a multitude of loans available to you. Nursing as an educational pick qualifies you for many loans. You can afford nursing school with the use of these. Some will have deferred interest and all should have deferred payments until graduation from nursing school. Use these resources vs. credit cards or loan sharks. The interest rate and pay back terms will be manageable. Continue reading
They are looking for a new grad nurse to be competent, proficiency will come! This will happen with time.
Expectations for competency would include:
- Be able to use the nursing process: talked about earlier: Assess Diagnosis, Plan, and Evaluate. Can develop a care plan and follow an existing plan.
- Recognize your own limitations and know your abilities: As a new nurse you will not know all the answers or what to do in all situations, but you are expected to know when to ask for help and to know when you are in over your head and to seek assistance. Best not to fake it here, it is expected for you to ask for help! It may involve your patient’s safety if you don’t.
- Have enough knowledge to provide safe care and for decision-making. You must know when an emergency or complication is occurring and where to go for help. Continue reading
Do you want to work as an EMT?
Let’s assume that you answered yes since you’re still reading. What do you need to do to get work in the field? What are the next steps in order for you to get started?
Let’s look at EMT requirements and what you need. After conduction some research I wanted to highlight the general preparation that you need to work as an emergency medical technician:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Be over 18.
- Hold a driver’s license in good standing.
- Be in good physical health.
- Complete some sort of EMT program.
- Be willing to work in a team in a high-pressure environment. Continue reading